Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Another day, another dollar; spent on a mechanic. I tried in vain to remove my Mitsubishi Montero steering wheel and put a new multifunction switch in. I removed the airbag, the nut, unplugged the electrics, and assembled the puller, but it would not budge. Turns out the cheapness of the tool was the culprit. I took it to my tried and true local mechanic, Bear Auto, and he was able to get it right off with his snap-on wheel puller. I think the wheel puller I was using (a loaner from pepboys) came with weak support bolts that were bending slightly as I increased the torque.

By the way, there should be no blog that doesn't have the word 'torque' in it at some point.

If this is all complete gibberish to you, sorry. If you are the type of person who is actually interested in DOING this kind of work on your own car, the old adage that the having the right tools means the job is half done was just re-proven today.

Of course the real bummer in all this is that the time it took to go to my mechanic meant I had to skip open studio at Bemis today, and so I didn't get to check in on my 6 bowls that were bisqued last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment